SfAA Community Network

www.sfaa.net

TIG on Business Anthropology

Information

TIG on Business Anthropology

The TIG on Business Anthropology is a network of practitioners and academics interested in getting to know each other, sharing work experiences and scholarly resources, and advancing research on consumer behavior, organizational culture and change, and design anthropology

Members: 25
Latest Activity: Oct 30, 2016

Discussion Forum

Call for Papers:The Sixth International Conference on Applications of Anthropology in Business

Call for Papers The Sixth International Conference on Applications of Anthropology in Business In order to promote phenomenon-driven and context based study on management and marketing research in…Continue

Started by Robert Guang Tian Oct 30, 2016.

New Slack for Anthropologists from around the world 1 Reply

Hello everyone,A few fellow anthropologists have created a Slack channel to help foster community between people in the discipline. If you are interested, just go to…Continue

Tags: Community, Slack

Started by Kevin M. Newton. Last reply by Francesco Oliverio Jan 14, 2016.

SfAA 2015 TIG 1 Reply

At the 2014 meeting we discussed creating an open-discussion, semi-structured TIG meeting for the 2015 SfAA Meeting. We mentioned possibly having several "discussion stations" where small groups…Continue

Started by Kevin M. Newton. Last reply by Maryann McCabe Jul 15, 2014.

Syllabus

Hi GuysGreetings from Kentucky. I will be teaching an applied/business anthropology course this fall. I am working on the syllabus. If anyone of you have taught a class on Business anthropology, I…Continue

Started by SASIKUMAR BALASUNDARAM Jun 10, 2014.

Comment Wall

Comment by Maryann McCabe on December 8, 2014 at 6:06pm

Announcing

Call for Collaboration

Your Conference for Positive Marketing March 25-27, 2015

The marketers that create the greatest good in the world are those that empower and energize their customers, not just in the marketplace, but in their communities and in their lives. Taking that as a cue, the 4th annual Conference for Positive Marketing will be Your Conference for Positive Marketing. With an eye toward being a springboard for collaboration, this conference encourages you to create a program tailored to your interests with sessions designed to foster connections with like-minded people and to facilitate dynamic, productive conversations.

Instead of traditional submissions, we are asking you to – somewhat informally – pitch session themes driven by your expertise and passions. And instead of a traditional peer review process, we are asking all participants and attendees to identify and contribute to relevant session pitches by commenting and voting on them. With a program designed by its participants, Your Conference for Positive Marketing will be relevant and engaging for all attendees.

This conference stands to benefit anyone --practitioner or professor -- with an interest in using marketing to improve the world around them. Together we will break down the walls between the ivory towers of academia and the ceaseless demands of the C-suite, between righteous researchers and budding brand managers alike. Our goal is to catalyze connections you might not otherwise make and share your diverse perspectives to help each other see the challenges and opportunities of positive marketing in a whole new light. Whether you are a professor, a practitioner, or are simply passionate about using marketing positively, this is your conference.

To start, visit http://positivemarketing.ideascale.com to pitch, contribute to, and/or vote on session ideas.

Comment by Maryann McCabe on April 1, 2015 at 4:55pm

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the business anthropology cluster at the 2015 SfAA Meeting in Pittsburgh.  Success!!  We had 6 sessions plus a roundtable and workshop, not to mention the annual TIG meeting with 21 people pursuing conversation threads on research using social media and the future of business anthropology.  It's bright.  Next year: Vancouver. 

Comment by Maryann McCabe on September 21, 2015 at 4:51pm
We're going to have a Google Hangout on Monday, September 28, at 3 pm CST. That's 4 pm EST, 1 pm PST. Join us with this link:

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/tndata.org/mid-year-tig?authuser...

Topic of conversation: why business anthropology is better known in business than in anthropology. There are probably a number of reasons, which we can discuss, and think about how we want to describe business anthropology to an organization like SfAA, which is oriented to human rights and social justice. As the SfAA website says, it is committed to making an impact on quality of life.

We're having this gathering online to stay in touch midway between the annual SfAA Meetings.
Comment by Duncan M Earle on November 18, 2015 at 2:23am

This all sounds great-I am new to using anth in business and to now teaching a management course, so I want to help build a community of shared lessons and learners, because I am a novice!.    

Comment by Duncan M Earle on November 18, 2015 at 2:31am

Sadly I joined too late to catch the hangout, but the subject matter is of intense interest. New trends inside business, such as Responsible Management, seem to be far more in alignment with the social science social justice main stream because it takes stakeholders into consideration, not only stockholders, and pushes the business case for high ethical standards and see-through operations--the triple bottom line, as it is called.  Seems this is news to those who have had a habit of seeing bad capitalism in all of it, but it is news we need to communicate, no?   

Comment by Maryann McCabe on November 24, 2015 at 6:53pm

Welcome to 3 new members -- Ricky Donovan, Duncan Earle, and Francisco Oliverio. The TIG plans to have a Google Hangout in January 2016 and a meeting at SFAA Vancouver.  Hope to see you there.  

Duncan, if you're looking for an anthropologist who teaches management, one person is Alex Stewart at Marquette U, a nice guy who has been involved with business anthropologists. 

Comment by Duncan M Earle on November 24, 2015 at 7:11pm

Thanks Maryann! Will follow up.

Comment by Francesco Oliverio on November 24, 2015 at 7:53pm

Let me make the reading easier. Thank you. I am glad to be a member. Business is a word I have avoided for long. It was like...  As anthopology student - or as an anthropologist?
I don't know, I have been studying anthropology for almost 15 years now. At the very beginning my idea was to become an academic anthropologist, but in the last four years, many changes occurred in my life. Family needs prevented me to get on with my plans. I am coming to term with business because, say, I am a sort of person who is not very employable in the market force in order to make a living whilst he thinks what to do next. And being unemployed is pushing me to give new meanings to the term: anthropology can be applied to business, but at the same time anthropologists can make something with business. I am in the process to write a plan, but I have no idea yet. Difficult to do. Is there anything I really love? I am sure that I will apply my anthropology through business. 

Comment by Maryann McCabe on November 24, 2015 at 8:46pm

I think many of us traditionally trained in anthropology initially felt some discomfort working with or in business, but you're right, we can do something with business and have a positive impact on organizations, their work processes and products and services.  You might enjoy reading this short biographical sketch of Melissa Cefkin: https://www.epicpeople.org/melissa-cefkin-a-profile/.  She addresses the issues you raise.  Best of luck.

Comment by Francesco Oliverio on November 25, 2015 at 1:39pm

Thank you. It is really interesting and inspiring. 

Comment

You need to be a member of TIG on Business Anthropology to add comments!

Members (25)

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by SfAAadmin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service