SfAA Community Network

www.sfaa.net

Hello there.

I am finally receiving word form abroad that my thesis was approved and I should be receiving my MA. I've been aiming at teaching at the university level. Now. How does one begin? I've searched openings.... don't find many anywhere.... Do I just send resumes/approach universities? How do I get my foot in the door?

This jumbled message reflects my brain state at the moment.

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Lauren,
Are you in the U.S.? If so, you'll need a Ph.D. for most university level teaching. M.A. level anthros will be able to teach at the adjunct level. The pay is a lot worse; in many cases, there's no benefits (depends on the state and the university system). In return, you have no or little administrative/committee work and a lot of flexibility. That's why it's a good option for ABDs (people who have taken all the steps to a Ph.D. except finishing writing the dissertation, it means All But Dissertation). And boy are there a lot of ABDs out there doing adjunct work, as well as a lot of Ph.D.s. Which is to say that you'd have a lot of competition for adjunct jobs as well.
Whether you can get adjunct teaching positions also depends on where you are. I was in Chicago, and I adjuncted at four different schools. One of them definitely would have accepted M.A.s (it was an arts and media school), and the pay was pretty good because the adjuncts were unionized. So look for a union! It gives you more job security.
I know this is discouraging, but that's what the job market for teaching is like.
On the other hand, a lot of my friends have gone into consulting. I've been told by consulting and marketing and assessment/evaluation companies that they prefer M.A.s as they come in with less arrogance about their importance. The pay can be excellent, even in the non-profit sector, compared to academic positions, especially adjuncting.
Good luck on the job search!
Hey Kate, thanks for that. I've been trying to find some consulting firms, etc. that are interested in taking new graduates with MA's. A bit difficult? Any advice on freelancing?

Best,
Jesse
Hi, Jesse,
It depends on where you are. You might try Context-Based Research in Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A. They hire people from a distance -- I did a project in Chicago for them. Of course, it's not super exciting to be doing your fieldwork at a remove from the analysis, but it's a start and it fills the household treasury. Join your local practitioners' organization, go to the national meetings, etc. I find the local practitioners' meetings (I was among the officers of the Chicago Association for the Practice of Anthropology for a few years) very useful as we make the move into consulting, marketing, etc. There's usually a day-long workshop on becoming a consultant (i.e., a freelancer) at the SfAAs, so get there and take that! You'll need to know how to market yourself, how to budget, how to write a business proposal, figure out how much time a certain job would take you, etc.
But you can a lot of this from your local practitioners' organization. Go to http://www.practicinganthropology.org/lpos/ for a list of local practitioner organizations to find one you could join.
But I'm not currently consulting, so I don't have alot of practical advice for you. A lot of my consultancies came by chance. I went out and talked to people about what I did, but the work arose out of someone saying to someone they needed someone to ... and a colleague saying to me that I would be good for it. I also did a lot of work through my happenstance association with a research institute.
Freelancing can pay tremendously well, but you really need to know how to value your labor AND you need to have a high tolerance for periods of no money!
Good luck!
Here's an example of a business-oriented job, just so you can see what you'd need to learn or get experience in if you decided to take this route:
Below is a description for a senior user researcher position in Avenue
A | Razorfish's Chicago office. Those with a social science background
are particularly encouraged to apply.

Please direct all questions and inquiries to:
Tina Maudsley
tina.maudsley@avenuea-razorfish.com

Thanks!

-------

Senior User Researcher

Core Qualifications
As a Senior User Researcher with Avenue A | Razorfish, you must
demonstrate the following: